04 March, 2020

Atomic Ed, Short Film, Review And Interview


As the synopsis points out, Atomic Ed is about the underdog becoming the person they need to be for the situation. It is a fun-filled short ride that makes you smile, even if you might get a little squeamish because it is in a horror setting.

I saw Atomic Ed at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Foreign Short, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Score, and Best Makeup.

This is a light horror setting that doesn't reach the gore level of recent television shows. It's a family friendly story everyone can enjoy.

Synopsis: When the body of one of the members of Mark's band is found horribly mutilated, the gang lash out on Ed, who has no choice but to become the person he has always dreamed of being.

The director, Nicolas Hugon, shared some information how his youth in Paris inspired him for Atomic Ed and being a filmmaker.

What was the inspiration for Atomic Ed?

I grew up with my friend writer Cyril Delouche in a suburban suburb near Paris (we also shot the film in the neighborhood of my childhood). At that time, we were watching a lot of horror movies, mostly American. And often, they took place in neighborhoods quite similar to ours.

I think that with the passing of time, my memories of youth have ended up mixing with the images of horror movies that we consume in high doses!

Atomic Ed is a tribute to all these films and my youth.

There is indeed a lot of my experience in Atomic Ed. Already, the alleyways you can see in Atomic Ed are the same ones I have walked with my mates for much of my youth.

After, of course, there is this fantasy a little cliché of the teenager in love with the girl inaccessible and finally arrives at his ends.

Me, I did not arrive, but I was not beautiful as Oscar (who plays Ed in the film)!

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

Like all the filmmakers, I would like to shoot a feature movie one day of course!

I'm already trying to shoot a new short film by doing better than the previous one.

And maybe, other projects but it's a secret for the moment!

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

I grew up in the 80s and like all children of my age I was amazed by all the movies of this era Spielberg/Lucas/Zemekis. Films where the marvelous arose in the everyday life of teenagers. I think about The Goonies, Gremlins, Back to the Future. But also, the first Star Wars.

At the time, I did not even ask myself the question of how we made movies, I let myself be transported and then that's all. Then, I think I needed more and stronger emotions and I really became passionate about genre cinema.

I was traumatized by films like Robocop, The Exorcist, or Brain Dead that I discovered very young and that's when I really wondered how these people make movies. So, I watched the movie with another, more technical look, and then one day my dad bought a camcorder to shoot family movies. I started like that when I was 12, shooting horror movies in my parents' house and garden, splashing my friends with a liter of ketchup!

What would be your dream project?

This one, I have not dreamed of it yet!

I already dream of continuing to do what I do, I still have a lot to improve.

And maybe start shooting movies a little bit longer!

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?
Cinema is a very time-consuming activity that tends to intrude much on privacy. When I do not make a film, I look a lot, I also discuss a lot with my friends about cinema. But I also find time to read, to see my friends, to play video games and to take care of my wife and my son.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

Robocop of Paul Verhoven. This film, as I said earlier, traumatized me when I saw it when I was barely 10 years old. All this graphic violence, I did not feel well. Then, with time, he fascinated me, I discovered the second degree and the double reading that was hidden behind this film, which seems really nagging.

Since then, I watch it very often, for me it's a perfect film in many ways: the clarity of the screenplay, the rhythm, the structure of the film, the special effects, the emotions it summons to me.

This is the movie I would have dreamed of doing!

You can watch the trailer for Atomic Ed on Vimeo (link).

Find out more about Atomic Ed on

IMDb (link)

Facebook (link)

Instagram (link)

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).

 

No comments: